Sunday, March 5, 2017

What are my memories of school lunch?

Growing up we received government assistance so I ate school lunch everyday. I remember liking it. I liked the changing variety when I was in elementary school. My friends and I would eat really quickly so that we could enjoy recess. Fortunately I don't remember a time when I had to eat lunch alone. I always had friends to eat lunch with.

At North Layton Junior High there were options. I remember there was a pizza line and then other hot lunch lines that changed daily. I remember there were tables you would stand and eat at and that's where the cool people used to eat. I got to eat over there a few times. I remember there was one girl who befriended me and let me eat with her and her friends. I can remember her face but can't remember her name. Brunette, my height and really nice. That's all I remember.

At Ririe High School I know my grandma paid for me to have school lunch for awhile but then we were able to get government assistance for me to get lunch then too. Some Thursday's my friends and I would go to Sweet Surrender and for $2 we would get 2 breadsticks and marinara sauce. That's all I ever got if I left school to grab lunch. Thinking back now I can't believe I would buy 2 breadsticks for $2. But I did it because it switched things up and I got to do what others were doing.

I remember all through my schooling it was kind of the uncool thing to like school lunch. But when I think back I don't remember it tasting bad, I just remember that there were people who said it was so gross so I never wanted to admit that I liked it.

I still have the mentality that I don't want to look bad in front of others so I don't stand strong in my opinion sometimes. It's something I'm working on and still feel inspired when I see others openly admit liking something the majority doesn't.

Jess is an example of this. My first semester at college, she put up a Spice Girl poster up in her room. The same poster that I had owned once. She LOVED the Spice Girls and I finally decided I could be open and honest with myself and others that I too still love the Spice Girls. It really doesn't matter what other people think. If they don't want to be a friend because I like a certain thing then that is their problem. I need to remember to teach this principle to my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment